AECC undertaking four signifianct projects to best support our whanau and tamariki. We need your help to make it a reality!
Avonside Early Childhood Centre (AECC) has been supporting tamariki and whānau in East Christchurch since the 1940's. We are a not-for-profit community centre and have always aimed for an enriching and supportive environment that that is also accessible to the people who need it. We charge a very affordable $2 an hour for children over 2 years and $4 for children under 2 years.
There are three main projects we need to undertake to make our center the best it can be.
1. Outdoor Place Space upgrades: to ensure the sandpit is safe for our children to play in we need a new sandpit cover. We have been quoted $1700 for a new one.
2. Upgrades to two carpeted areas: our carpet has been the same since pre-quakes and is now a little threadbare in our under two space and play space. These are small areas but we need $4000 to complete this project.
3. Upgrades to doors: we would like to make our doors watertight and visible for the person opening the door, this has been especially important during COVID while parents are now having to drop kids off at the door. We need $4000 to complete this project.
3. Updating Our Furniture and Indoor Toys: We are in desperate need of a couch that will fit kaiako and multiple children. We also need new room dividers to accomodate our younger children, as well as some new educational toys, puzzles and a worm farm. We will need $4,000 to complete this project.
4. Crash-mats and Climbing Boxes/Frames - we've been making do with the same ones for about a decade now and they are getting a bit worn and are in much need of replacing We will need $7,000 to complete this project.
We have worked with children ages 2 - 6 for many decades now, but our newest initiative is to extend our service to include care and education for children aged from 6 months. This is a really transformational project for us and has required many years of planning, thought and consideration.
We have managed to source cots and some other basic equipment to feed, change and sleep and settle our new learners but to ensure a range of well-considered and thoughtfully resourced indoor and outdoor environments that meet the needs of children as part of their learning and development, we will need some extra support from our community to ensure this initiative can take off.
Avonside Early Childhood Centre is a small, not-for-profit community center based in the Eastern Suburbs of Ōtautahi. We provide high quality, affordable and personalised education for children 6 months - 6 years, in a mixed age setting.