Eat Right Be Bright. School lunches for all Kiwi kids
Every child fed nutritiously every day in every school. Fill tummies, grow minds for Zero Hunger Schools in New Zealand.Nationwide
368 million children worldwide are fed daily as part and panel of going to school in around 88% of countries which operate a national school lunch programme. Lets make that happen for children right here in Aotearoa. So they too can benefit from a fresh, nutritious and delicious lunch at school every day wherever they are.
A universal school lunch programme is a child-focused policy:
* 1 in 4 children in NZ lives in poverty
* 1 in 3 children in NZ is overweight/obese
* 1 in 3 children admitted to Starship suffers from malnourishment to some degree.
Kiwi kids going hungry at school is more than just a low decile school issue. Every child in New Zealand has a right to learn and achieve and they will do that best on a full and happy tummy. A school lunch programme can significantly contribute to a child’s readiness to learn and ability to take part in their own education through better health, better concentration and improved learning. But by far the biggest outcome is the sense of wellbeing and value for a child by removing the long-lasting stigma and emotional impact of going to school without lunch.
A universal school lunch program will also benefit all New Zealanders:
*By ensuring that every child will receive a healthy and nutritious meal at school daily wherever they are, whatever their circumstances, free from shame and stigma.
* Allowing children to spend happy, shared moments together, to to make time for
communication and social exchanges.
* Hungry kids can’t concentrate. Healthy school lunches have shown to improve academic
results by 3-5% for all kids. For those most in need academic results could rise by 18-40%.
* It will help reduce health spend on nutritional related diseases. Obesity and Type 2 diabetes
are costing the nation $2.15bn per annum.
* For every $1 spent om a national school lunch programme, $3-$10 will be returned to the New
Zealand economy via health and education benefits.
* Invest in New Zealand’s food industry using globally recognised fresh, local, seasonal produce
to feed and nourish our children.
* Generate regional employment opportunities.
* Help reduce environmental waste. A school lunch produces on average three pieces of plastic
per lunch per day, 25kg child per annum.
Sara Mead's involvement (page creator)
We are a not-for-profit trust currently working towards charitable status. We are a self funded organisation. No one involved takes a salary or is paid. Eat Right Be Bright wishes to encourage discussion, inform debate, support the development of policy and ultimately realise central funding for a universal school lunch programme. Any funds kindly donated will be used for:
1. Marketing to raise awareness of the benefits of and need for a universal school lunch programme, through traditional media, social media and our website presence
2. Events to raise awareness of the benefits of and need fo a universal school lunch programme
3. Policy development and research.
4. Pilot programme that actively demonstrate a school lunch programme in operation and the outcomes that can be achieved.
Use of funds
Funds will be used for:
1 Marketing to raise awareness of the benefits of a school lunch programme.
3 Pilot programme that actively demonstrate a school lunch programme in operation.
Other page links
Got a question for the page owner?Ask one here
Want to display a QR code that links to this page?Grab a QR Code
Any concerns?Report this page
This page was created on 28 May 2018 and closed on 1 Jul 2019.