The grateful smile on the face of this father made our day when he dropped in to the Mental Health Service with his son who had just been discharged from the hospital to pick up one of the green pack of goods donated by people to ASA Foundation to deliver to Samoa.
This would not have been possible without the kindness of so many people across New Zealand and from Sydney Australia.
ASA Foundation and partners have been on the ground in Samoa for 9 weeks now providing financial assistance, coffins and aid supplies to families who lost a loved one and many affected by the measles epidemic.
ASA Foundation is grateful to companies, churches, organisations and individuals who have partnered with us to ensure there is a well coordinated operation to reach the people in need as soon as resources are available.
Recently ASA Flying Volunteers distributed 35 pallets from 2 more containers of donated supplies for affected families in Samoa. See full list of the allocations below:
* Mental Health Services = 7 pallets (full height)
* Maternity & Paediatric Services = 4 pallets (full height) & 2 large consignments
* Salvation Army = 4 pallets (full height)
* Community Education Advocacy Centre = 3 pallets (full height)
* Red Cross = 2 pallets (full height)
* Caritas = 1 pallet (full height)
* ADRA = 1 pallet (full height)
* JAWS = 1 pallet (full height)
* Fellowship Church = 1 pallet (full height)
* Leauvaa families = 1 pallet (full height)
* Lefaga families = 1 pallet (full height)
* Community Groups = 3 pallets (full height)
* ASA Flying Volunteers = 4 pallets (half height)
For 5 weeks over November and December ordinarily people in New Zealand and Australia have been doing some extraordinary work in collecting aid supply for Samoa. Three containers of five; containing nappies, wipers, children care supply, masks, gloves and hospital supply have already been distributed in Samoa. All this supply was the work of the dedicated teams of collection partners below:
* Marlborough - Lynette Leota
* Christchurch - Martha Tuli
* Wellington - Henrietta Hunkin-Tagaloa, Asomua Sulu Sheck & Kaira Sheck
* Palmerston North: Fatima Sae
* Otaki & Kapiti Coast - Angelina Mose Tuialii & Hana Fa'auma Alaga
* Auckland - EIF International
* Auckland - Henderson Cars
* Auckland - Main Freight
* Auckland - Maketi Samoa Foods & Produce
* Auckland- Gmana Wholesa Autos
* Auckland- Debra Tuuaga
* Auckland - Mena Shop & Gina Loheni
* Auckland - Tavita Lefale
* Sydney: Shearer Pule Maiava (Samove Cultural Movement)
* Sydney: Cecilia Misitea (The Koha Shed)
* Sydney: Sheryl Bee (The Movement)
* Sydney: Sita Taalili (J & R Enterprise)
Note: A full height pallet is from floor to ceiling of container; equivalent to 2.5 normal square pallets.
We are very grateful to the generosity of ordinary New Zealanders and Australians who donated nappies, wipers, masks, gloves, hygiene and other supply to help Samoa.
Another team of ASA Flying Volunteers are scheduled to be in Samoa from the 27th February to 1st March, tasked with the distribution of 2 more containers one from New Zealand and one from Australia.
Flying Volunteers organise and pay for their own travel and accommodation while ASA Foundation will look after transport and meals during the 4 days volunteer work in Samoa. Volunteers can travel early then join in the 4 days work, while others may want to be there for the 4 days then stay on for a few more days to visit families.
ASA Flying Volunteers will get the opportunity to meet the families that we’ve been assisting, also frontline health staffs and volunteers in Samoa. If interested or will be in Samoa and wish to join the ASA Flying Volunteers, contact Tofilau Esther Tofilau on 7725 431 or email email@example.com
ASA Foundation is committed to remain in Samoa up to the end of February supporting the State of Recovery work. This includes the continuation of its partnership with Frankie's Supermarket in assisting the Mental Health & Psychosocial Support service at Motootua Hospital with the measles mental health impact.
ASA Foundation and partners are also fundraising to build 3 mini libraries In Memory of the Children who died of the 2019 measles epidemic.
They say reading opens doors. We may have lost many precious lives to the measles epidemic in Samoa but together we can help those who survived and give a generation a better future. This will become a reality with the help of the following partners:
1. SAMOA MO SAMOA
Please donate to the SAMOA KIDZ LIBRARY APPEAL Givealittle page by clicking on the link below: https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/samoa-kidz-libraries
To date ASA Foundation has visited and presented 62 families with a financial assistance. There is 21 more families to go as donations becomes available. This work continues until we have helped every family that have lost a love one. This had been made possible through your donation to the MEASLES SAMOA FUND APPEAL and the help of our funding partners:
* Ariana Paul (TriMāori)
* Rob Campbell (Chairman Skycity Entertainment)
* Tofilau Kerupi Tavita (Jesus For NZ
* Aotea Finance)
* Dave Letele (Brown Butter Bean)
* Pacific Ezy Money Transfer & Moana Rentals
* GMana Wholesale Autos
* Maketi Samoa Foods & Produce
* ProCare PHO
ASA Foundation has supported 7 families with a donated coffin by Kiwi Coffin Club in New Zealand. If your family or know of a family that is struggling with funeral cost please contact us. This assistance is available for as long as it’s needed.
A big thank you to individuals, groups, churches and companies that have chosen to donate and partner with ASA Foundation. The MS19 appeal is direct from donors to the people affected... right now, not a week or a month later. We welcome anyone who wants to partner with ASA Foundation like the following fundraisers:
1. Action For Samoa (Wellington)
2. USA For Samoa (Ruurd, Bianca, Nyles, RJ & Kilo Brown)
We acknowledge the significant humanitarian and medical assistance offered by the international community.
CLICK link to view update: https://youtu.be/Rgnhpx7qol4
If you want more information contact Teleiai Edwin Puni on (+6421) 618-042 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
**** PLEASE SHARE - SHARE - SHARE ****