Stop The Proposed Wellington Airport Runway Extension
- $4,280.00 donated
- 55 generous donors
Help us stop the short-sighted, expensive and environmentally disastrous proposed extension of Wellington Airport's runway into Cook Strait.
Wellington International Airport Limited (WIAL), a private company, wants Wellington ratepayers and taxpayers to subsidise the extension of Wellington Airport's runway by 363 metres into the wild Cook Strait.
In an era of rapid climate change, fossil fuel divestment and rising sea levels, this proposal is short-sighted and environmentally irresponsible.
It's also a huge ripoff. WIAL is embarking on this proposal, despite opposition from airlines, the government and credible economists, in the hopes of expanding its asset base. It is basically getting Wellington ratepayers to foot the bill so it can privatise the profits and hike up fares for everyone. If this proposal goes ahead, it will be a giant example of corporate welfare. Our City Councillors will be gambling with our money without getting their facts straight.
This proposal simply doesn’t stack up:
- there is no airline committed to fly here (and we just saw that we can already fly to Singapore - but only via Canberra and only when it’s massively subsidised)
- we simply don’t have the demand for 3 long-haul airports in such a small country
- the pilots say it is unsafe to fly here long-haul, without extending it much further which would be prohibitively expensive and fill in all of Moa Point
- all economists that looked at the airport’s numbers say that the benefits will likely be NEGATIVE, and we’d get much more bang for our buck if we used the $150m of ratepayer money on making Wellington a more attractive and liveable city, or even if we’d just invest it in the bank.
- if you don't want Wellington's traffic completely clogged up by huge numbers of truck movements for years during the construction period, and
- if you don't want to pour your cash into Infratil's pockets making all of our airfares more expensive, and
- if you think our marine and coastal environment, including Lyall Bay's surf, needs protection from developers and that we should be more smart about climate change,
then please donate to help us stop this foolish project. It’s going to be nothing but an expensive White Elephant despoiling our taonga, the South Coast.
The money donated will be used on experts and lawyers to oppose the runway extension proposal in the Environment Court.
Page created by:
I am part of a coalition of individuals and groups opposed to the proposed Wellington Airport runway extension.
Donor Confidence Key
Givealittle values the importance of an informed decision when making a donation. We check to make sure that adequate information is provided to donors and that pages comply with our terms and conditions. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
A page becomes donor validated when it receives donations from at least three different sources. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
New Zealand registered charity
Is registered with the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA), Charity Services (formerly Charities Commission) as a charity.
Tax credit eligibility
Has been granted 'donee status' by Inland Revenue (IRD). Donors to a page with tax credit eligibility may be able to apply for a tax credit.×