To continue The Baring Head Restoration project that Kitty was passionate about.
Bill and Kitty lived at Baring head for a number of years so were very passionate about the restoration project started up by the late Colin Ryder.
Instead of buying flowers etc the family thought it would be more fitting if people donated to The Friends of Baring Head ( via Colins page).
Friends of Baring Head was set up to support management of the Baring Head part of East Harbour Regional Park. It has helped achieve:
• Restoration of the historic pumphouse
• Replacement of asbestos roofs on the lighthouse buildings and basic fixes to the buildings.
• External painting of the generator house, one of the houses, the garage, and the sheds
• Conversion of the garage into a volunteer base
• Conversion of the generator house into a day shelter and story hub
• Retirement from grazing of most of the river valley
• Planting of thousands of trees
• Protection of coastal wetlands and turf communities
• Protection of a large gully on the south coast
• Implementation of a complete trapping network across the area
• Control of a wide range of weeds
• Initiation of a rare plant programme
• Initiation of an invertebrate conservation programme
• Protection of the banded dotterels during nesting
• Provision of seats for visitors
Friends of Baring Head supports the management of the Baring Head part of East Harbour Regional Park. We provide funds and volunteers for restoration of the natural and historic heritage of the park.
Use of funds (go directly to the Charity)
One of the projects that Colin had approved and was promoting, chosen by the family, probably lighthouse compound amenity and interpretation development.
A fantastic project restoring Bill and Kitty's history