The sanctuary is a 100 hectare predator-free native bird sanctuary, set amongst one of the few patches of virgin rainforest. According to F
- the preservation and enhancement of the forest
- the enhancement of native bird life and the introduction of rare and endangered species
- providing the opportunity for public education, recreation and enjoyment of the Homestead and forest.
- providing an education program for students.
- establishment of a predator proof fence to protect native bird life
- programmes for the release and protection of hihi/stitchbird, tieke/saddleback and previously as a kiwi sanctuary
- preservation of the Bushy Park Homestead