Improving the welfare and lives of animals through the legal system.
The New Zealand Animal Law Association works to improve the welfare and lives of animals in New Zealand through the legal system. We are an organisation of nearly 500 lawyers, law students and law graduates that has grown dramatically since we were founded in 2014. We use our legal skills to assist animal rescues and other charities by linking them to lawyers who provide free legal advice to the organisations. We also encourage the development of animal law within the New Zealand legal profession, and encourage lawyers to consider their practice areas through an animal focussed lens.
NZALA's recent activities include:
- commissioning a 100-page report detailing inconsistencies between the Animal Welfare Act and the Code of Welfare for Rodeos
- offering seminars in Auckland and Wellington on the link between domestic violence and animal abuse. The seminars featured litigators, social workers and police prosecutors.
- offering a seminar in Auckland on the use of the Fair Trading Act to reinforce animal welfare standards, particularly egg labelling and the "pigcare" label
- hosting the inaugural New Zealand Animal Law Conference in 2016, with keynote addresses from Hon Michael Kirby and Dame Jane Goodall, and papers on animal sentience, personhood and prosecutions for animal related offences
- submitting to central government agencies on a range of animal welfare issues
- assisting SPCA in reviewing prosecution files
As New Zealand's only legally focused animal charity, your donation will be greatly appreciated as we continue our work.
The New Zealand Animal Law Association is a new coalition of lawyers working to improve the welfare and lives of animals through the legal system. We currently have nearly 500 lawyers and law students throughout the country signed up, from Whangarei to Timaru, spanning various practice areas, including lawyers working for large commercial law firms, criminal and civil litigators, in-house counsel, lawyers working for government and the judiciary, and even a Queens Counsel. The Association also has a number of honorary patrons, including the Honourable Michael Kirby AC CMG Australia.
Donor Confidence Key
Givealittle values the importance of an informed decision when making a donation. We check to make sure that adequate information is provided to donors and that pages comply with our terms and conditions. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
A page becomes donor validated when it receives donations from at least three different sources. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
New Zealand registered charity
Is registered with the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA), Charity Services (formerly Charities Commission) as a charity.
Tax credit eligibility
Has been granted 'donee status' by Inland Revenue (IRD). Donors to a page with tax credit eligibility may be able to apply for a tax credit.×