Improving the welfare and lives of animals through the legal system.
Our focus is on protecting animals through the law and growing the field of animal law within New Zealand. Our activities include:
- Providing free legal assistance to animal protection and animal rescue organisations.
- Assisting with animal welfare prosecutions.
-Writing submissions to Parliament on animal law reform and publishing reports highlighting gaps in the current law.
- Raising awareness by hosting public seminars and lectures on animal law: last year we hosted Otago law lecturer Marcelo Rodriguez Ferrere and we recently hosted internationally renowned animal protection lawyer Steven Wise.
- Growing the field of animal law at law schools through community placement programmes - enabling students to get course credit for helping animals.
- Educating the public about animal law through media interviews and appearances.
But we need your help! As a new organisation, we haven't yet secured any major funding and need this in order to get off the ground and achieve our mission of improving the lives of New Zealand’s animals.
The New Zealand Animal Law Association is a new coalition of lawyers working to improve the welfare and lives of animals through the legal system. We currently have over 200 lawyers throughout the country signed up, from Whangarei to Timaru, spanning various practice areas, including lawyers working for large commercial law firms, criminal and civil litigators, in-house counsel, lawyers working for government and the judiciary, and even a Queens Counsel. The Association also has a number of honorary patrons, including the Honourable Michael Kirby AC CMG Australia.
Email your friends & family×
Report this page×
Donor Confidence Key
Givealittle values the importance of an informed decision when making a donation. We check to make sure that adequate information is provided to donors and that pages comply with our terms and conditions. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
A page becomes donor validated when it receives donations from at least three different sources. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
New Zealand registered charity
Is registered with the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA), Charity Services (formerly Charities Commission) as a charity.
Tax credit eligibility
Has been granted 'donee status' by Inland Revenue (IRD). Donors to a page with tax credit eligibility may be able to apply for a tax credit.×