The Whinray Eco Trust was formed with the intention to restore one of the last brown kiwi populations on the East Cape.
Our track record has been pretty impressive so far:
• with the help of our friends we trapped over 1500 stoats since 1999
• in that time our kiwi population has grown from 8 birds to over 35
• since 2013 some 1000 possums have left the reserve
• dwindling possum numbers have resulted in a significant increase in Rata flowering
• we built a predator proof kiwi enclosure and planted over 6000 native trees
• within the enclosure mice, rats, hares and rabbits were completely eradicated
But there's much more to do and we need your help!
During 1999 the Motu community, made up of shepherds, station managers, teachers, nurses and their families got together to restore one of the last brown kiwi populations on the East Cape; they formed the Whinray Ecological Charitable Trust.
The reserve is located 87 km from Gisborne, halfway between Opotiki and Gisborne.
The success of the Trust has been due to a determined and passionate local community and a wide range of generous sponsors who have made this project such a success.
Email your friends & family×
Report this page×
Donor Confidence Key
Givealittle values the importance of an informed decision when making a donation. We check to make sure that adequate information is provided to donors and that pages comply with our terms and conditions. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
A page becomes donor validated when it receives donations from at least three different sources. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
New Zealand registered charity
Is registered with the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA), Charity Services (formerly Charities Commission) as a charity.
Tax credit eligibility
Has been granted 'donee status' by Inland Revenue (IRD). Donors to a page with tax credit eligibility may be able to apply for a tax credit.×