#LandBack. We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy it back and help recreate a hub for our Ngāti Kahukuraawhitia people.
We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to help recreate a hub for our Ngāti Kahukuraawhitia people.
- 182.41 hectares of our ancestral land in Wairarapa has come up for sale.
- This whenua backs onto our maunga Tararua, our awa, Waiohine and is near one of our urupā, Te Uru o Tāneroa.
- The tender price is between $1.2-1.5 million.
- Our whānau are trying to raise money to meet the tender price.
- Our iwi has not settled, so we have no collective financial base.
- Our whānau want to buy back our whenua and establish papakāinga and sustainable business to bring our people home to Wairarapa to thrive on their tūpuna land.
I am an uri of Ngāti Kahukuraawhitia. Ngātuere Tāwhao Tāwhirimātea is my tūpuna, a rangatira of our people during the 1870s, right through to the 1920s.
The funds will be spent on purchasing our whenua back and developing papakāinga and sustainable business to bring our people home.
Update 1 15 April 2021
As of 13 April 2021, we have raised:
$160,488 on Givealittle and
$110,391 in direct bank deposits
Yesterday we submitted our tender offer 'subject to finance' which means that our offer is there subject to us raising enough money to meet it.
The tender offer we have submitted is commercially sensitive, so we can't post it.
We are continuing to work through legal support/advice in establishing our charitable trust and protect the integrity of the money fundraised
Once we know the outcome of our tender we will have the final date for fundraising support to meet the tender price.
We are continuing to contact individuals, businesses and Māori organisations to financially support us.
We still need everyone's help to meet our tender offer.
If we aren't successful with purchasing this whenua, the money will be protected and used to purchase another parcel of whenua within our rohe, another time.