COMPLETE INSTALLATION OF WURLITZER PIPE ORGAN at PLAYHOUSE THEATRE, GLEN EDEN
Complete the installation of Auckland's historic 1926 Wurlitzer Pipe Organ at the Playhouse Theatre in Glen Eden.
The Trust is thrilled to announce the details of Stage 2 of our Wurlitzer Pipe Organ installation in the Playhouse Theatre, Glen Eden.
Stage 2 involves;
• Moving the organ from MOTAT storage to the newly built Organ Chambers at the Playhouse Theatre
• Installation of 15 ranks of pipes plus percussion instruments (piano, xylophone, glockenspiel, chimes, SLEIGH BELLS, Chrysoglott, harp, drums, symbols, toy counter and sound effects [horses hooves, triangle, castanets, tambourine......] )
• Connection of pipes and percussions to organ console now installed at the front of the Playhouse stage
• Installation of 2 blowers which provide the wind to produce sound from the pipes and percussions
• Installation of the solid state system which joins all these components together and MAKES MUSIC :):):)
The Wurlitzer Organ Trust of Auckland (WOTA) is a registered not-for-profit charitable organisation charged with the care and preservation of the now 3-manual 15-rank Wurlitzer pipe organ, formerly the 2/8 Model F Wurlitzer installed in the Regent Theatre in Queen St Auckland.
The Trust’s goal is to keep this unique form of musical entertainment alive by presenting regular musical events and shows. These feature not just the organ as a solo instrument, but also together with other artists, musical mediums, and the accompaniment of silent movies - the original purpose behind the creation of theatre pipe organs.
Use of funds
Stage 2 of the project will include installation of the blower, pipework, and connection of these and the percussions to the console. When that’s done and we’ve got sound, the organ has to be voiced so that all the pipe ranks sing in harmony and are matched to the new room in which they will perform. Stage 2 will occur later in 2018.
Other page links
THE ORGAN HAS ARRIVED AT THE PLAYHOUSE!!!
On Monday 13th January, our wonderful Wurlitzer Organ was moved from storage so kindly provided by MOTAT to the Playhouse Theatre. Many, many thanks from Neil Warrington our Organ Curator to Trustee John Kleingeld, Kevin (Neil’s brother), Bill Ridge and of the boys from Business Relocations who did such a fantastic job for us!
Installation is scheduled for March 2020.
Got a question for the page owner?Ask one here
Want to display a QR code that links to this page?Grab a QR Code
Any concerns?Report this page
This page was created on 9 Oct 2017 and closed on 28 Feb 2018.