As we receive no government funding, Animal Evac needs your help so that animals are not left behind in emergencies.Nationwide
Formed in 2018, following the devastating Edgecumbe flood the year prior that saw over 1,000 animals left behind in need of rescue, Animal Evac New Zealand (Kararehe Whakawatea) is a charity comprised of volunteers including veterinary and disaster response professionals, to ensure the needs of animals are better served in future emergencies. Though there is a primary focus on companion animals, Animal Evac works to advocate for all animals that are vulnerable or affected by disasters. A national pool of trained Animal Evac volunteers has been established to provide surge capacity in support of regional animal welfare emergency response.
Purpose: Why Animal Evac ?
• To address the significant animal welfare emergency management capability gap
• To protect disaster affected animals in partnership with the community
• To provide local response to support animal evacuation, sheltering and reunification.
Mission: What we do
A. Promote animal-inclusive hazard mitigation, emergency preparedness and recovery
B. Develop and maintain a regional capability of animal emergency responders
C. Provide training and professional development in animal disaster management
D. Provide initial response to support to emergency services with the evacuation of animals and their temporary care
E. Operate an animal evacuation database available for partner organisations to access to promote real-time collaboration and information sharing during a disaster
F. Work with existing animal shelters for the ongoing care, reunification or rehoming of evacuated animals
G. Implement post-disaster community recovery projects for improving animal welfare and resilience to future events (i.e. microchipping, pet carrier, family emergency plans).
H. Advocate for accountable and capable animal emergency management arrangements.
Values: How we do it
• We are the leading voice for all animals affected by disaster
• We act to do the right thing for the animals in a disaster management context
• We develop local capacity to create animal inclusive community resilience
• We hold to account those with responsibilities to protect animals from disaster
• We inform our position and activities using best practice and scientific knowledge
• We do not advocate on non-disaster related animal welfare issues.
More about us
Animal Evac New Zealand is a registered charitable trust under the Charitable Trusts Act 1957. We are the NZ's only dedicated emergency management charity for animals, with a mission to protect animals from disasters. Registered Charity CC55754.
Other page links
We’ve been blown away over the last few weeks by the generous donations and kind messages we have received.
While it was hard work in Australia, the team had some great successes. They carried out animal search and rescues in recently burnt areas and helped a community prepare to evacuate. To read updates from the fires deployment, check out the news section of the Animal Evac website http://www.animalevac.nz/news/.
As our deployment to Australia has ended, donations coming in will be used to support Animal Evac’s work in New Zealand and our response to future disasters. Donating now is a great way to make sure that when disaster strikes, Animal Evac is ready to act and make sure no animal is left behind.