The Brook Waimarama Sanctuary Trust is Nelson’s most exciting conservation initiative.
We're restoring a place where native plants and animals thrive, without threat from introduced pests, alive with birdsong… where rare species such as kiwi, tuatara and kakapo will roam freely... where hundreds of volunteers are making a tangible difference... where families and school groups can see native flora and fauna close to home… where visitors can experience the ‘original world.’
• Constructed a 14.4 km predator-proof fence around the Sanctuary
• Developed 8o km of tracks;
• Eliminated 18,000 mammalian pests and 50 hectares of invasive plants;
• Collected baseline population data for native bird and lizard species and pest mammal species;
• Hosted 35,000 visitors at our award-winning visitor centre;
• Educated 3000 school children each year;
Your donation will help us introduce smart detection technology that will support species re-introductions.