Greenpeace exists because this fragile earth deserves a voice. It needs solutions. It needs change. It needs action.
Greenpeace acts to change attitudes and behaviour, to protect and conserve the environment and to promote peace by catalysing an energy revolution, defending our oceans and creating a global network of marine reserves, protecting the world’s ancient forests, working for disarmament and peace, creating a toxic free future and supporting sustainable agriculture by encouraging socially and ecologically responsible farming practices.
Greenpeace has played a pivotal role in, among other things, the adoption of:
- A ban on toxic waste exports to less developed countries.
- A moratorium on commercial whaling.
- Bans on the dumping at sea of radioactive and industrial waste and disused oil installations.
- An end to large-scale driftnet fishing.
- A ban on all nuclear testing.