New residential retreat for Northland, a rural haven in the midst of native bush with healing animals and a community veggie garden
WST is establishing a new rural retreat near Dargaville, Northland, to help those struggling with life. The old Arapohue Bush Camp is 22-acres of land with buildings and native bush, located 16km south east of Dargaville and 58km west of Whangarei. The team is restoring the buildings and establishing the Arapohue Rural Retreat; a safe haven for those in need.
Wild Side Charitable Trust (WST) was formed in 2017 and has a solid board of trustees and advisors. In the past year, the Centre Directors, registered tradies and volunteers have been restoring buildings and infrastructure. They have created a large community veggie garden and orchard to feed, not only future guests, but divert surplus to nearby foodbanks.
In preparation for the retreat opening for residential guests in the near future, the Trust is working with other local organisations serving the needs of Northland. We hope to work with other agencies like Te Ara Oranga, Te Hā Oranga, Timatanga Hou (Dargaville detox), Northland DHB Mental Health & Addictions Community Services, the Salvation Army and Arataki Ministries Mental Health Services... because TOGETHER, WE HAVE THE ANSWERS.
I am the Spokesperson and one of the founding trustees of the Wild Side Charitable Trust. The Arapohue Rural Retreat is my vision to help those struggling with life issues in NZ by establishing a healing rural retreat in Northland.
WST will purchase the Arapohue Bush Camp property, 22-acres of land in Northland, restoring buildings needing repair, and introduce a 6-12 month residential rehab and recovery programme to help addicts and their families.
Reflections from Ray Curle (co-director) 8 November 2021
It's been exactly seven years today that I married Janet Lisa Balcombe.
The Lord led us to develop the Arapohue Rural Retreat, a healing and recovery centre for the those wanting to be set free from addictions and those suffering from life’s traumas. Although not officially opened yet, we have been ministering to many who have come for prayer.
Reflecting on the miracles of God’s provision...
- Over half a million dollars of private donations has come into the Wild Side Charitable Trust plus a generous loan from the Dugdale Charitable Trust, which enabled us to purchase the very run-down Arapohue Bush Camp.
- Restore The Farmhouse (for our own residence with extra rooms for people we have been helping).
- Restore Dargaville House (originally the old Dargaville Police Station set aside for our property supervisor and volunteers).
- Re-roofing Okahu House (future men’s accommodation).
- Painting the inside of The Cottage (future women’s accommodation).
- Installing a $50K environmental septic system for the camp.
- Replacing the old toilets and showers in the camp toilet block
And the miracles keep coming...
Last month we had run out of donor money and we had an electrician's bill to pay ($6,000). Then our GST refund unexpectedly came in ($12,000).
Then last week at the Moerewa, Northland leaders meeting, Jan was talking to a lady who asked her what needed to be done to be able to take more people. Jan mentioned that The Cottage needed re-roofing, spouting, scaffolding and plumbing. When asked how much that would cost, Jan said approximately $40,000 had been quoted. This wonderful person replied, “It will be in your bank account today!" And it was. We have not stopped thanking the Lord for His miraculous provision.
As this renovation can now proceed, we are looking ahead to some other urgent needs to put before the Lord and His generous donors:
- Replace a bald tyre on our property supervisors car $150
- Replace two tanks of water from an undiscovered leak yesterday $500
- Okahu House needs the inside painted $600 for more paint
- Okahu House needs the ceilings re-gibbed $1,000
- Plumbing needed for The School House (equine mentoring HQ) $5,000
- Building repairs and timber to the outside of The School House $6,000
- Roof shelter, hitching rails and wooden fencing for the horses $10,000
If you or your family, or your church or organisation feel led to donate toward any of the needs mentioned above, please go ahead and click the link. Together we have the answers to help the needy and hurting amongst us.
Many thanks and much appreciation to you both for your very generous donation for Arapohue Rural Retreat. This will go toward building repairs needed to the Cottage building for the roofing to be done. Blessings, Ray and Jan and the Arapohue team
Thank you Dave and Lynaire! Your very generous donation will go toward re-gibbing Okahu House ceiling. We thank you for partnering with us to get this accommodation ready for men reaching out for help. (keep your receipt which would have been emailed to you from Givealittle to claim your tax back). Thanks and blessings, Ray, Jan and the WST team at Arapohue
Thanks Allan! Your very kind support goes a long way helping people at Arapohue. Keep the receipt emailed to you for your tax rebate. Blessings, Ray and Jan
Jacqui thank you so very much! Bless you and we look forward to seeing you soon. Xx