One Giant Chance! Help Protect and Expand Te Mata Park
A golden opportunity to protect and expand our treasured Te Mata Park. A gift to everyone in our community, please support us!Hawke's Bay
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to protect, expand and enrich our Te Mata Park!
We invite you to support the Park Trust as we raise funds towards the purchase of a beautiful stretch of land - 8.5 hectares located between Tauroa Car Park and the Gates Car Park, running alongside Chambers Walk.
A gift for all in our community, this new land has so much potential...
* New trails to explore. New loops to enjoy with friends, taking in sensational views of the Ranges.
* Enjoyment of extensive native plantings, and continuation of the bird corridor.
* Enhanced safety. Separating park users at the Tauroa entrance – ensuring mountain bikers and walkers/runners are on different trails.
* Secures your solitude. Takes traffic off Chambers Walk, and ensures an experience without overwhelming crowds.
* Learn from new Park educational tools – educational signage, improved technology (Park App, Virtual Visitor Centre, inc maps), enhanced learning about our history and flora & fauna.
* Protecting a part of Hawke's Bay history - the land includes important sites of Maori significance, as confirmed by local historian Patrick Parsons.
* Enjoyment of new Park features. A discreet and environmentally sensitive Sculpture Walkway has been proposed. Integrating art, education, history and culture, we envisage that the story of Te Mata is reflected throughout a tastefully designed art experience, that is in keeping with the look & feel of the Park, using elements that reflect the environment. This could be an opportunity to work with local artists, and create a unique attraction that would be enjoyed by a wide range of users, for many years to come.
* Ease of access – nestled between Tauroa Car Park and the Gates Car Park, this land is ideally located; perfect for school groups, young families and those less able.
* New and varied topography. Outstanding natural features. Natural platforms. Steep cliffs with potential for abseiling. Cave for the adventurous.
* It is so important that we raise sufficient funds to purchase this land. It presents a wonderful opportunity to protect the outlook and scenic corridor leading in to the Park. We wish to secure the integrity and beauty of the Park and ensure this neighbouring land is used for recreational purposes; protecting the serene, rural and unique experience at the Park.
The Fundraising Goal:
The current owner of the land has agreed to a very fair and favourable offer for the land. We are very fortunate to have this opportunity. They are a local family who wish to see the land absorbed in to the Park boundary, and therefore under the protection of the Park Trust.
We must raise the funds by the 30 APRIL 2019, in order to secure the purchase of the land. $1.25 million is required to purchase the bare land and then a further $250,000 for developing trails, planting native trees and installing informative signage.
We aim to raise much of the funds from our local community; via GiveaLittle, online donations, business sponsorship and local charitable trusts. National Lotteries and National Gaming Trusts are also being approached for the track work, native trees, etc (however, they will not fund the purchase of bare land).
We firmly believe that our goal is achievable.
Please support us - this is a gift for ALL in our community!
Te Mata Park: the jewel in Hawke's Bay's crown. 'The Giant' has a significant and commanding presence in every way - a landmark with outstanding geological, ecological, recreational, spiritual and cultural significance. Te Mata Park is a vital recreational asset for our community, and a popular attraction for tourists to the region. The Park is a magnet for walkers, runners, mountain bikers and paragliders.
Use of funds
Your contribution will be spent on purchasing the bare land. The land is currently under contract with a deadline of raising funds by the end of April 2019. Any surplus funds will be spent on building new trails and new directional & informative signage.The Te Mata Park Trust Board will be seeking donations from other sources, so even if less than $1million is raised via Givealittle, The Trust hopes to be in the position to still buy the land.
Other page links
It's an exciting time for all park users.
The planning phase for the new land is well underway. We are talking to various Charitable Trusts about funding for the track work, native tree plantings and signage. The responses have been overwhelmingly positive.
Last week, The Surveying Company HB donated their time and resources, and surveyed the new land. This mapping will enable us to create a professional and detailed landscaping map. Once the draft plan is completed, we will invite feedback from park users.
The Trustees recently visited the land thanks to a guided tour from the current owner, and are planning the layout of tracks, that will complement our existing network.
The settlement date for the new land is not until 31 July, so we are unable to begin work on the land until after then. However, all the planning is happening now!
Once we start the work, it will be 'all hands on deck'!
If you wish to volunteer your time for plantings / weed removal etc, then we would be delighted to hear from you. Please email Emma on firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in assisting.
We are continuing to receive donations, for the projects on the land. Hence, the deadline for GiveaLittle has been extended to 31 July 2019.
We will endeavour to keep you informed as the project progresses.
Many thanks for your outstanding support.
FundraiseYou can start a fundraiser to have your own page that raises money directly for The Te Mata Park Trust.
Our other pages
Got a question for the page owner?Ask one here
Any concerns?Report this page
This page was created on 18 Jul 2018 and closes on 31 Jul 2019.