One Giant Chance! Help Protect and Expand Te Mata Park
- $16,541.00 donated
- 145 generous donors
A golden opportunity to protect and expand our treasured Te Mata Park. A gift to everyone in our community, please support us!
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to protect, expand and enrich our Te Mata Park!
We invite you to support the Park Trust as we raise funds towards the purchase of a beautiful stretch of land - 8.5 hectares located between Tauroa Car Park and the Gates Car Park, running alongside Chambers Walk.
A gift for all in our community, this new land has so much potential...
* New trails to explore. New loops to enjoy with friends, taking in sensational views of the Ranges.
* Enjoyment of extensive native plantings, and continuation of the bird corridor.
* Enhanced safety. Separating park users at the Tauroa entrance – ensuring mountain bikers and walkers/runners are on different trails.
* Secures your solitude. Takes traffic off Chambers Walk, and ensures an experience without overwhelming crowds.
* Learn from new Park educational tools – educational signage, improved technology (Park App, Virtual Visitor Centre, inc maps), enhanced learning about our history and flora & fauna.
* Protecting a part of Hawke's Bay history - the land includes important sites of Maori significance, as confirmed by local historian Patrick Parsons.
* Enjoyment of new Park features. A discreet and environmentally sensitive Sculpture Walkway has been proposed. Integrating art, education, history and culture, we envisage that the story of Te Mata is reflected throughout a tastefully designed art experience, that is in keeping with the look & feel of the Park, using elements that reflect the environment. This could be an opportunity to work with local artists, and create a unique attraction that would be enjoyed by a wide range of users, for many years to come.
* Ease of access – nestled between Tauroa Car Park and the Gates Car Park, this land is ideally located; perfect for school groups, young families and those less able.
* New and varied topography. Outstanding natural features. Natural platforms. Steep cliffs with potential for abseiling. Cave for the adventurous.
* It is so important that we raise sufficient funds to purchase this land. It presents a wonderful opportunity to protect the outlook and scenic corridor leading in to the Park. We wish to secure the integrity and beauty of the Park and ensure this neighbouring land is used for recreational purposes; protecting the serene, rural and unique experience at the Park.
The Fundraising Goal:
The current owner of the land has agreed to a very fair and favourable offer for the land. We are very fortunate to have this opportunity. They are a local family who wish to see the land absorbed in to the Park boundary, and therefore under the protection of the Park Trust.
We must raise the funds by the end of 2018, in order to secure the purchase of the land. $1.5 million is required to purchase the bare land and also develop trails, plant native trees and install informative signage.
We aim to raise much of the funds from our local community, via this GiveaLittle page. National Lotteries and National Gaming Trusts are also being approached for the track work, native trees, etc (however, they will not fund the purchase of bare land).
We firmly believe that our goal is achievable.
Please support us - this is a gift for ALL in our community!
Use of Funds:
Your contribution will be spent on purchasing the bare land. The land is currently under contract with a deadline of raising funds by the end of 2018. Any surplus funds will be spent on building new trails and new directional & informative signage.The Te Mata Park Trust Board will be seeking donations from other sources, so even if less than $1million is raised via Givealittle, The Trust hopes to be in the position to still buy the land.
Page created by:
Te Mata Park: the jewel in Hawke's Bay's crown. 'The Giant' has a significant and commanding presence in every way - a landmark with outstanding geological, ecological, recreational, spiritual and cultural significance. Te Mata Park is a vital recreational asset for our community, and a popular attraction for tourists to the region. The Park is a magnet for walkers, runners, mountain bikers and paragliders.
- Givealittle moderated
- Donor validated
- New Zealand registered charity
- Eligible for tax credit
Concerned? Report this page
Donor Confidence Key
Givealittle values the importance of an informed decision when making a donation. We check to make sure that adequate information is provided to donors and that pages comply with our terms and conditions. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
A page becomes donor validated when it receives donations from at least three different sources. Pages are not browseable nor searchable until moderated and donor validated. For more information, check out this support article.
New Zealand registered charity
Is registered with the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA), Charity Services (formerly Charities Commission) as a charity.
Tax credit eligibility
Has been granted 'donee status' by Inland Revenue (IRD). Donors to a page with tax credit eligibility may be able to apply for a tax credit.×