The Superhero Senseathon 2022 - Raising funds for The Neonatal Trust, to enable more support of families with premature & sick babies
This March, Baby Sensory and Toddler Sense classes across New Zealand have chosen to support The Neonatal Trust and will be running special Superhero Senseathon classes, raising funds to support the vital work that they do.
Every year approximately 10% of all babies are born premature in New Zealand. That’s one premature baby born every 90 minutes. In all, over 5,000 newborn babies are born premature and there are also many full-term babies whose condition or illness requires admission to a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) or Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU).
These are the babies, and their families, that The Neonatal Trust supports.
What is the Superhero Senseathon?
In March 2022 babies, toddlers and their carers will be donning their Superhero capes and raising funds and awareness for babies born early – it’s Superhero babies and toddlers supporting other Superhero babies and toddlers!
The Superhero themed ‘Senseathon’ will be a wonderful and fun event and all participants (babies, toddlers and even parents!) are encouraged to come dressed as their favourite Superhero.
Funds raised by the event will go directly to The Neonatal Trust to help support their three main objectives –
• supporting parents in whatever way they can during their neonatal journey,
• assisting NICUs in practical ways such as contributing towards the cost of equipment, funding staff education and professional development, and
• aiding neonatal-related medical research.
With over 8,500 families participating in the Superhero Senseathon across Australia and New Zealand Baby Sensory are hoping to beat their fundraising total from 2019 and raise even more to support families across Aotearoa!
How can you get involved?
Baby Sensory and Toddler Sense sessions will be running across Australia and New Zealand.
1. Register to attend one of our Superhero Senseathon events by contacting your local Baby Sensory or Toddler Sense class leader (visit www.babysensory.co.nz to find your nearest class).
2. Ask everyone you know to sponsor your little one by sharing the fundraising link above.
3. If you can’t attend an event, don’t worry, you can also donate online directly by visiting the link above.
4. Buy a ticket in our national raffle – for more information visit www.wowworldgroup.co.nz/senseathonraffle2022 or contact your nearest Baby Sensory or Toddler Sense class leader.
5. Have fun on the day! Bring a friend... or two!
*COVID-19 protocols can be found here: https://www.wowworldgroup.co.nz/COVID19Safety
10% of babies born in NZ arrive prematurely and many more full-term babies have complications that require specialist care. The Neonatal Trust exists to provide support to these brave parents.
This money will be spent on increasing The Neonatal Trusts whānau support in innovative ways such as webinars, live streams and podcasts.