Walking With Wings - for Cystic Fibrosis NZ and Taranaki Retreat (mental health)
Shane Kidby is walking Aotearoa’s 15,000 km coastline for cystic fibrosis and mental health. It may take him 2 years to complete.Nationwide
DONATIONS ON THIS PAGE GO TO CYSTIC FIBROSIS NZ AND TARANAKI RETREAT
Shane Kidby (48 years) is attempting to walk Aotearoa’s entire coastline to raise funds and awareness for cystic fibrosis and mental health in honour of his late brother and mother.
Cystic fibrosis and mental health are close to New Plymouth resident, Shane Kidby’s heart. When he was only nine years old, Shane lost his little brother, Daniel, to cystic fibrosis. His mother passed away with cancer just recently and Shane, himself, had a hip replacement a few years ago as a result of Perthes disease as a child. Shane is all too familiar with mental health battles experienced as a consequence of ‘life’. This epic adventure, Walking With Wings, is part of his grander plan to live his life with purpose and help others find theirs.
Shane says this hikoi has been a long held dream, ever since he was a kid when he and Daniel would pretend to be explorers.
"It’s been my lifelong goal, but there will be a lot of challenges," Shane explains.
"New Zealand’s coastline has some wild and formidable terrain; and our winters are tough.
"I know it will be gruelling, both physically and mentally. I have been training for a few months now with the help of experts. I will give it my best shot, but it’s a big challenge that only one other person has completed before.
“It was my Mum's dream to see me start walking but sadly she passed away just a few days before my start date. I am now starting on the 15 July 2021 at Cape Reinga in the North Island of NZ. I'll be heading down the west coast towards Wellington. I'll tackle the coastline in stages - step by step, stage by stage. Each stage alone is a huge achievement. I estimate the entire coastline will take me a couple of years to complete.
"It’s my mum’s wish to see me start this journey and I know that both my Mum and Daniel will be with me in spirit”.
Shane will be using his trek to raise both awareness and donations for his nominated charities - Taranaki Retreat and Cystic Fibrosis NZ.
He invites New Zealanders to follow, donate and join him on this journey.
• Who: Shane Kidby, from New Plymouth.
• What: Attempting to traverse the 15,000 km coastline of Aotearoa (only one other person, Brando (Wild Boy) Yelavich, has ever done this before).
• Why: Raise funds and awareness for cystic fibrosis and mental health
• When: Start 26 June 2021 (may take about 2 years).
• How: Will be done in stages and reviewed at the end of each stage.
• Where: Facebook ‘@Walkingwithwingsnz’, Instagram ‘walkingwithwings Shane Kidby’
• Chosen charity partners: Taranaki Retreat (suicide prevention centre) and Cystic Fibrosis New Zealand.
• Funds for the adventure: Funding most himself, but help appreciated at https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/walking-with-wings-for-cystic-fibrosis-and-mental
• Business partners so far: Swazi, TrackMe, Macpac, Oboz Footwear, Shining Peak Brewery, Game Changer, Kings Society Barbershop, Greg Brien Physiotherapist, YMCA Taranaki Fitness Centre, The Most FM, YY Nation, Fix & Fogg, Vogletown Pharmacy, EightyOne – more in progress.
• Contact details:firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0274 132 638
Follow Shane's journey on a map in real time at this link https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/walkingwithwingsnz/
Other page links
Shane has started walking - follow his progress 15 July 2021
Hello and THANK YOU! Without you this isn't possible. Here's a few updates:
1. Shane has started walking as of today. He left Cape Reinga in the North Island of NZ a few hours ago. You can see his progress on a map in live time at this link https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/walkingwithwingsnz/
THANK YOU TRACKME NZ AND FOLLOW MY CHALLENGE!
2. Here's the latest newspaper article about Shane - https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/125701730/taranaki-father-ready-to-start-15000km-walk-around-nz
3. We have Walking With Wings hoodies for sale online. You can pre order here https://www.gamechanger.org.nz/walkingwithwings
About 27% of proceeds of the sale of each hoodie goes to CF NZ and Taranaki Retreat.
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! Your support is overwhelming and completely amazing!
Thank you so much! Really appreciated.
Shelly thank you. Much appreciated 😊
Wow!!! Thank you so much! This is greatly appreciated.
Every cent counts Enele. Thank you so much for your contribution. It helps a lot.
Want to get in touch with the page owner?Ask a question here
Want to display a QR code that links to this page?Grab a QR Code
Any concerns?Report this page
This page was created on 5 Jun 2021 and closes on 5 Jun 2023.