Shane Kidby is walking Aotearoa’s entire coastline for cystic fibrosis and mental health. It may take him 2 years to complete.
DONATIONS ON THIS PAGE GO TO CYSTIC FIBROSIS NZ AND TARANAKI RETREAT
Shane Kidby (48 years) is attempting to walk Aotearoa’s entire coastline to raise funds and awareness for cystic fibrosis and mental health in honour of his late brother and mother.
Cystic fibrosis and mental health are close to New Plymouth resident, Shane Kidby’s heart. When he was only nine years old, Shane lost his little brother, Daniel, to cystic fibrosis. His mother passed away with cancer just recently and Shane, himself, had a hip replacement a few years ago as a result of Perthes disease as a child. Shane is all too familiar with mental health battles experienced as a consequence of ‘life’. This epic adventure, Walking With Wings, is part of his grander plan to live his life with purpose and help others find theirs.
Shane says this hikoi has been a long held dream, ever since he was a kid when he and Daniel would pretend to be explorers.
"It’s been my lifelong goal, but there will be a lot of challenges," Shane explains.
"New Zealand’s coastline has some wild and formidable terrain; and our winters are tough.
"I know it will be gruelling, both physically and mentally. I have been training for a few months now with the help of experts. I will give it my best shot, but it’s a big challenge that only one other person has completed before.
“It was my Mum's dream to see me start walking but sadly she passed away just a few days before my start date. I started on the 15 July 2021 at Cape Reinga in the North Island of NZ. Then I had to take some time out due to a small injury and covid lockdown. I re started at New Plymouth and I'll be heading down the west coast towards Wellington then across to the South Island. I'll tackle the coastline in stages - step by step, stage by stage. Each stage alone is a huge achievement. I estimate the entire coastline will take me a couple of years to complete.
"It’s my mum’s wish to see me start this journey and I know that both my Mum and Daniel will be with me in spirit”.
Shane will be using his trek to raise both awareness and donations for his nominated charities - Taranaki Retreat and Cystic Fibrosis NZ.
He invites New Zealanders to follow, donate and join him on this journey.
• Who: Shane Kidby, from New Plymouth.
• What: Attempting to traverse the entire coastline of Aotearoa (only one other person, Brando (Wild Boy) Yelavich, has ever done this before).
• Why: Raise funds and awareness for cystic fibrosis and mental health
• When: Start 15 July 2021 (may take about 2 years).
• How: Will be done in stages and reviewed at the end of each stage.
• Where: Facebook ‘@Walkingwithwingsnz’, Instagram ‘walkingwithwings Shane Kidby’; TikTok @walkingwithwings
• Chosen charity partners: Taranaki Retreat (suicide prevention centre) and Cystic Fibrosis New Zealand.
• Funds for the adventure: Funding most himself, but help appreciated at https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/walking-with-wings-for-cystic-fibrosis-and-mental
• Business partners so far: Swazi, TrackMe, Macpac, Oboz Footwear, Shining Peak Brewery, Game Changer, Kings Society Barbershop, Greg Brien Physiotherapist, YMCA Taranaki Fitness Centre, The Most FM, YY Nation, Fix & Fogg, Vogletown Pharmacy, EightyOne, Mission Kayak, True Alliance – more in progress.
• Contact details:email@example.com or phone 0274 132 638
Follow Shane's journey on a map in real time at this link https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/walkingwithwingsnz/
Merry Christmas and thank you 23 December 2021
I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and thank you for your support for my hikoi around the entire coastline of Aotearoa for cystic fibrosis and mental health. Without you, it would not be possible. Thank you.
Thank you so much truly appreciate it
This is unbelievable! Thank you so very much. Your support and amazing December 8 article are much appreciated.
Thanks so much mate 🙏❤️
Thank you for your continued support!
Very much appreciated. Thank you.