Heart Kids Southland support the families of children throughout their life who are diagnosed with heart defects.Southland
Heart Kids Southland is an incorporated society charged with helping the families of children who are born with a congenital heart defect or develop one before the age of 20 years. Heart kids is the only organisation dedicated to providing support to heart kids and their families. We continue to provide the same level of support throughout their lives.
This means we must be continually raising funds to be able to afford the level of support these families need. Because we are at the south end of New Zealand and most of the care these people need is only provided in Auckland, the families need deep pockets to be able to support their children through their extended stays in Auckland. The financial difficulties associated with this are extensive because of travel and loss of wages and is usually unplanned.
Within Southland we provide support to in excess of 120 families, some of whom live in the central Otago area.
Some of the statistics that we deal with are;
• 12 babies are born every week in New Zealand with a congenital heart defect.
• A congenital heart defect is the most common serious birth abnormality in New Zealand.
• There is no prevention or cure for a congenital heart defect.
• Many of these cases will require multiple surgeries.
• Each year 550 children go to Auckland for major heart surgery.
• Southland families travel 1635 km from Invercargill to Auckland for surgeries.
• Starship hospital is the only paediatric cardiac unit in New Zealand. Families in Southland do not have any other choice.
• 90% of children born with a congenital heart defect are now expected to live into adult hood.
• 70% of all heart surgery involves stopping the heart.
• There are over 40 different types of heart defects.
• One in every 100 babies born in New Zealand has a congenital heart defect.
• There isn’t any government funding available to these families other than the basic health services funding.
• Private medical insurance is not normally available for congenital problems.
In the past we have fund raised with a charity bike ride between Milford Sound and Invercargill however due to accommodation changes in Milford this has become very difficult logistically. We are also unable to include the majority of our Heart Kids families in the event. This year we are doing a nine-hour cycle challenge at Teretonga Park on 23 November. Head to https://www.trybooking.co.nz/CIX to book tickets. This challenge will be of a family nature and will include food stalls and entertainment.
When you make a donation to this fundraising page, your donation will be used to support Heart Kids and their families within the Southland region.
Your donation will be accepted as recognition of the effort made by the riders in completing this 9 hour challenge. The money will be used by Heart Kids Southland to assist heart kids and their families throughout their lifetime of treatments.
More about us
Each week in NZ, 12 babies are born with a heart defect. Heart Kids Southland provides support to over 100 families in our region who have a child with Childhood heart disease. We provide support by way of travel assistance for medical treatment, family events and funding to go to camps for heart kids. Support is provided through life.
Cyclists confirmed for 2018 3 September 2018
Miles - Mad Irishman,