Donate to help bring Ka 945 back to mainline service
The long project to bring Ka 945 back up to mainline standard has begun.
Below are the big items that need work and money to achieve this:
- Repairs to the Firebox, involving welding in patches, drilling tapping and fitting new stays; Replace the Boiler Tubes Flues and Elements; Fit a new Dry Pipe. Cost = $30,000
- Drop out the Driving Wheels check and if necessary replace bearings and refit to locomotive.
- MELESCO Regulator/header: Manufacture new s/s camshaft and lobes to B.P; Bore bottom chambers back to sound metal and fit liners to restore diameter; Manufacture new Pilot and 3 main valves; Machine and fit new valve seats; Cast machine and machine new valve covers; Reface steam pipe joints; Reface superheater ball joints. Cost = $10,000
- Cylinders, Pistons and valves: Check cylinder/valve liners for wear and replace/rebore; Check pistons/valves/rings for wear and replace; Check piston rods for wear and within code; Check valve rods for wear and within code; Set valves; Recondition cylinder cock equipment.
- Event recorder: Install Otari Rail V5 Tranzlog. Cost = $5,000
- Install a new Tait 8200 Radio. Cost = $1,200
These are just some of the jobs that need to be done to bring Ka 945 back to mainline standard, with many more jobs to be done as well.
Volunteers make up most of our work force, we have a few paid staff that guide the projects.
If you want to help visit our site on Saturday from 9-4.
We are an incorporated society based at Paekakariki on the Kapiti Coast. Formed nearly fifty years ago, we are devoted to the restoration of steam and diesel locomotives plus heritage carriages that we regularly operate on the main line.